2550th anniversary of the city of Feodosia
On July 23, a postage stamp dedicated to the 2550th anniversary of the city of Feodosia was put into circulation.
Feodosia dated its history back to the end of the 6th century BC, when merchants from the Greek city of Miletos founded a small trading post on the coast of a comfortable bay. The village was named Theodosia, which in Greek means "Granted by God".
In 355 BC, Theodosia was captured by the ruler of the Bosporan Kingdom. At the end of the 4th century, it was destroyed by a nomadic Hunnic tribe. In the century to follow, there was a village of alanes named Ardabda in place of Theodosia. At the end of the 7th-early 8th century, Khazars invaded the peninsula. Later on, for several centuries, Theodosia becomes a Byzantine fortification.
In 1223, the territory of Theodosia became a part of the Crimean khanate of the Golden Horde. However, soon afterwards, Genoese merchants bought a coastal area of the Feodosia Bay and established a trading settlement named Kafas (Caffa).
In 1475, Caffa was conquered by Osmanli Turks who renamed it as Kefe. Three centuries later, in 1771, during the Russian-Turkish war, the army of Prince V.M. Dolgorukov won the fortress.
In 1783, Crimea was incorporated in the Russian Empire, and a year later, Feodosia regained its antique name. In 1787, Feodosia became part of the Tauric Governorate. In a short time, an iron foundry, a confectionery factory and other production plants were launched in the city.
In 1921, the first health center opened in the city. Feodosia started its development as a health resort.
Currently, Feodosia is intensively developing as a resort and recreational area.
The postage stamp provides an image of the Genoese fortress, a view of the city, and a hybrid amphora of the 4th century BC from a necropolis.
In addition to the issue of the postage stamp, JSC Marka will produce First Day Covers and special cancels for Moscow and Feodosia of the Republic of Crimea, as well as a maxi-card.
Design Artist: O. Savina .
Face value: 50 rubles.
Stamp size: 50×37 mm, sheet size: 172×175 mm.
Emission form: a sheet with formatted margins with 12 (3×4) stamps.
Quantity: 144 thousand stamps (12 thousand sheets).